Thursday, July 08, 2010

Tomorrow's always a day away...

I don't think I'm gonna tell
my kids about Santa...
Everyone tells you he's real
And you wanna believe he is...
Until the truth sets in
and you go off and cry
Buts it's better that way
Cause then I have someone 
to thank for what's under the tree
And a lot more understanding 
for when it wasn't  
---
I don't think I'm gonna tell 'em
about love either
at least not the kind everyone is sellin' 
Fairy tales don't do anyone any good
and there sure ain't no need
to break a heart for one
I'm gonna tell them to find a good friend
(or a few) 
Cause then they'll have someone
to smile with when it's goin' right
A shoulder to cry on, and someone to talk to
for when it hurts
---
I don't think I'm gonna bother them with "forever" either 
Cause they ain't gonna live that long
I'm not gonna tell them about "perfect"
cause they won't be
and they ain't gonna find it
I'm gonna tell them to think about their own lives
and those same friends
cause that's what's real
and then they'll have someone 
to thank for getting them this far
And a lot more peace
knowing they've still got time
and a reason
to make it right

No comments: