Monday, June 14, 2010

I feel like Dr. Phil

I keep having all of these revelations only to realize that they have already been summed up in a sentence and repeated to me a thousand times.

The reason no one was ever good enough was because I wasn't good enough for myself. I wanted to be something I wasn't. Or maybe a little more precisely I wasn't willing to see the side of me I didn't want to be there. As long as I was trying to mold myself into something I wasn't, I was definitely going to keep doing the same to those close to me. I was never going to be happy with who they were until I was ok with who I was.

That's what love is all about. Accepting things for what they are. People are going to hurt you. People are going to disappoint you. I will do the same to others.

Anyway I say that only to mention I finally see the wisdom in the old saying

"You can't love someone else until you love yourself."

I think Sarte hits a little closer to the truth when he said "You do not judge the people you love."

No comments: