Friday, April 30, 2010

Hmmm....

I saw this one a friends profile...

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance."

It's basically a rewording of 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

I guess my definition of love is pretty close to this. It is a strong love, an enduring love. It is a mother's love. I have the strength part down, I'm just not very good at the rest of it.

Now I just have to decide if I believe in it or not... and if I can find someone strong enough to love me through it all. Someone who can love me even in the midst of my own humanity and for the mistakes I will most certainly make. I like this version though. I don't accept all of it either. I think one should demand his or her own way and sometimes love should be impatient, but other than that. I think it's fair.

Nietzsche talks about two ways of living life. One is through the lens of, what he calls the "slave morality" the other is, logically "master morality." Most of the slave mentality comes from the Judeo–Christian value system. The basic outline can be found in the beatitudes .

I think that's where my version of love and my ex's version of love differed. I leaned more toward a "master" version of love and she leaned more toward a "slave version." I think this distinction also went beyond our views on love and ultimately might have been one of the major differences of opinion.

No comments: