Monday, March 11, 2013

I am still amazed at the black magic writing seems to have over my life. I can write something on here or something on a to-do list and while I might not get it done that day or that week, it will happen. The delay is the most interesting part. I don't know why it takes so long to go from birthing the idea to implementation. It seems like I would be faster at converting my personal insights into reality.

____

Life notes:

I finished the marathon and totaled my car on the same day (someone ran a red light and hit me). I feel a little accomplished and a tad liberated. I am glad I was able to push through and finish. It's nice to know I am able to do that for myself. As for my lack of car, fortunately I live downtown, so the lack thereof is only really socially isolating and not a terrible inconvenience (besides grocery shopping). I can function without one. I had considered going without a car for 30 days so this may be my opportunity to do so. With the exception of rain, this is about the ideal season for it. If it weren't for my soreness from running I probably would have just started Sunday morning. I did walk home from work today which was a nice way to end the day. It's much more relaxing than sitting in a car in traffic. The fact that my knee hurts made each step a little more mindful, a little more deliberate. It seems like a good thing, at least in the short term. I also think I get an extra $500 if I forego a rental car which should be a good enough incentive to pass on it for a bit. Rewards are nice, they are supposed to be the strongest motivator. Hmmmm..... Maybe I will use the money to buy a new DSLR since I am kind of pushing up against it's technological limits at the moment. Now we are talking! D7000  here we come! OK, I convinced myself.

Now the bigger question is what car should I buy. Do I get a cheap, ugly beater or something fun that I will enjoy driving, but will likely need to sink a little money into. With the exception of getting a sporty convertible (which I would simply enjoy driving - which said differently, would just be a very expensive hobby), anything else I buy would just be for social purposes. It is the broader question of dealing with material possessions. Do I want to keep investing in expensive crap I don't really need?

No comments: