Sunday, March 03, 2013

Exercise and Productivity

It has been almost two months since I started running and doing yoga regularly (in addition to lifting weights). I have also been unusually productive over the past few days. This week alone I made my photography website, went through my old photos, did a shoot Saturday, designed new business cards, have been doing a lot more reading cleaned my house and organized my room, cooked dinner for friends, cleaned my car, tackled a list of to-dos I had put off for a while, wrote a ton, and stuck to my usual routine (working out for instance) even when I didn't want to.

I do not think the two are unrelated.

One video (start at 11:00 - however the whole video is jammed packed with solid information - the guys is loaded with data and is a fast talker) highlighted research which showed the effects on executive function (the part of the brain which helps with self control and decision-making [think ADHD-style impulsiveness of which I tend to be guilty]) can be greatly enhanced by twice weekly (for about 20 minutes) aerobic exercise (It also reduces the risk of Alzheimer's by half). This is in addition to the well-known effects on sleep, mood (as an aside, it seems plausible that the two are related given how classical stimulants work to deal with ADHD - would be an interesting area of research) and general health. Obviously,  with this additional piece of information, the decision to exercise became a "no-brainer."

I just wanted to document this and see if the effects persist. It will be useful to reflect on in months/years to come. It's also useful for anyone who might be unaware of the cognitive effects of exercise.

No comments: