Tuesday, September 02, 2014

I am too disagreeable. I need to be less argumentative/confrontational especially when:

1) meeting new people
2) it's a small issues
3) dealing with authority figures and other people who have the capacity to make life difficult

People open up more, like you more and feel like they are being heard when you agree with them, or at a minimum express how someone could hold a similar opinion. I read something today that basically said that no one thinks they are wrong. While sort of obvious, I always expect people to change their minds when confronted with better ideas. Most people aren't like that -- they have egos they like to defend. Challenging ideas means challenging them personally. This is unfortunate, but I think it's generally true. I need to wise up to the realities of personality.

No comments: