Monday, May 20, 2013

Status Update

All dressed up with a clean house and nowhere to go....

Well, that's a good time to write. Probably should go have another glass of wine and mediate first though. BRB. I will just do an update of my life since the start of the year.

This year has been really good financially. I refinanced my mortgage, did a home equity loan and refinanced everything thing else, and got a raise at work which also really nice. I also got in a wreck a few months ago which is ordinarily a bad thing. Fortunately this wreck, although rather nasty looking (a drunk driver ran a red light, hit my Jeep and spun it around causing it to hit the median and flip on its side), only resulted in some minor soreness. Fortunately, after some protracted "negotiations" with the insurance company I was able to get enough to replace my Jeep with another reliable car and have some money left over. I have been able to buy a few things I had wanted (like a new DSLR) and make some needed repairs/improvements to my house. In all, the improved cash flow/savings situation has allowed me polish up my lifestyle a little bit and given me the opportunity to buy a few things I have wanted and generally not have to worry about money as long as I don't make any big purchases. Two things I wouldn't have been able to do are work on small projects (like the patio I have been working on today) and the trip I went on last week (to New Orleans, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Canada and then the beach to spend time with the family) --at least without stressing out about it. I feel like now I am much closer to being able to have the life I envisioned I would have when I graduated college - one where work affords me some intellectual stimulation, doesn't suck up so much of my energy that I am drained when I make it home, provides enough money to work on projects I find interesting (around the house, artistic things, helping others) and to travel (both on interesting vacations and smaller road trips). I am also finally "proud" of what I have again. It's nothing special. I mean I drive a 10 year old car and live in a house in the hood, but I feel like I have a good life again. Everything works, is clean, and is reliable. I don't feel like I am holding everything together with duck tape or having to count dollars and make petty sacrifices (like not having a drink) when I am out with friends.


Work has changed a lot. I am working on much more interesting projects, have had some latitude to do my own research, and I really like my new co-worker. We are like a well oiled-machine when we work together and he is generally a really pleasant guy to work with.


I also think I am in the best shape of my life. I feel like I can run as far as I want ever since I ran the marathon a few weeks ago. I have also tweaked my training a bit to focus more on intensity (getting my heart rate up and trying to make sure I am fully winded. That seems to make a much bigger difference than just running and running at a normal pace. My new goals is to try to run a 5k under 20 mins. I'm also trying to add a little muscle and get up to 180lb, get a six pack and generally a nice body. I was working on this back in 2009 when i had an issue with a nerve in my arm (and the whole breakup which derailed everything). So far, that hasn't flared up and I am slowly making progress. I am being attentive to my diet (less emphasis on protein and low-cal, and more on just getting good food). I'm also not in a rush (doing much less weight lifting and more cardio) but things seems to be coming along just as quickly. Not sure how long it will take, but maybe I can get there by Christmas.

Generally, life is pretty good right now, but I think I would benefit from some goals. I have been wasting more of my time than I would like after work. Things to do:

1) Get cleared to mentor at Epworth
2) Work on patio area in back yard. Do a good job and make it look special. This will take some planning and a little craftsmanship. I initially planned to throw down a 10x10 square (which I did today) but I think a little creativity would go a long way. Plus, considering how long I (or at least someone) will use the area, it would be nice to put a little thought into it. Generally, I think I should work on adding some more trees to the back yard and make a plan for a nice laid out garden space with shrubbery, fruit, and flowers. New Orleans gave me plenty of ideas. Being a corner lot makes things much more difficult though. It will require special planning.
3) Read more. I have stacks of books I have purchased over the last year. I also need to get the reading list for the UU book club and find one I like and start on it now so I have plenty of thoughts by the time they meet.
4) Read the Free Times every Wednesday and pick out a few interesting events and invite the people who you would like to be there.
5) Plan more adventures for the weekends. 2.5 whole days to do as I please. I need to be more proactive about getting out and seeing things. I need to start doing at least one every 6 weeks.
6) Plan at least one creative project (right now that is probably photography).
7) Put my phone away. It's a huge distraction. The month off from FB was a good decision. Looks like applying this idea to other platforms (or maybe even something drastic like getting rid of my phone or the internet outside of work) would be beneficial.





No comments: