Sunday, March 25, 2012

Small changes

I am slowly turning into a urban hipster. I find myself biking more. I have long ago given up on retail shopping altogether (I stick to thrift stores, curbsides, ebay and flea markets). I realized I enjoy taking scrap material and repurposing it, refurbishing, or just appreciating it in it's worn state. 

This weekend I built a small raised vegetable bed this week and a small patio area with fire pit in my back yard. I did both of these entirely out of materials I had laying around or found on the side of the road (things that only last week I was considering taking to the dump so I could clean up the area) . I landscaped it with plants I found on Craigslist. I plan on making hanging torches out of old wine bottles from a local tapas bar. I was inspired to do this after I spent a nice evening around a firepit made from the top of a grill and nicely lit with a simple strand of old Christmas lights. It was some dirt poor couple just enjoying life. I began to realize this was just as nice as anything I might do if I constructed it out of bricks and mortar and had a contractor do it. I realized that I wouldn't have enjoyed the evening any more had it been in a some perfectly constructed urban setting. There was something almost cozy about it all. I also realized it might be some time before I am able to do all the things I want to do if I wait until I can do them "properly,"  In general I have have realized that doing things the way everyone else expects them to be done isn't going to give me the most benefit in life (even if it does increase my home equity - though this isn't entirely certain either). I need to be more creative in how I seek out solutions to the things I want. I need to be flexible. I need to be aware.

Over the past six months I haven't really bought anything for my house, but It continues to be furnished from discarded furniture from friends and things I have found laying around. I furnished my entire dining room from this stuff. 

I guess the point of this whole post is just to point out that I have a little more faith in the universe to provide me the things I want as long as I am willing to be patient, creative and flexible. 


No comments: