Thursday, January 26, 2012

Minimalism

Here are a few Haiku gems I came across while doing some reading for a
project in my photography class.... I thought they were worth sharing.


Many solemn nights
Blond moon, we stand and marvel
Sleeping our noons away
-Teitku


Stillness... Then the bat
flapping among the willows
Black against green sky
-Kikaku


Giddy Grasshopper
Take care... Do not leap and crush
These pearls of dewdrop
-Issa


Plume of pampas grass
Trembling in every wind
Like a lonely heart
-Issa


The snake departed
But the little eyes that glared
still shining in the grass
-Kyoshi


The carved God is gone
Dead leaves alone foregather
on the temple porch
-Basho


Oh stupid scarecrow
Under your very stick feet
birds are stealing beans
-Yuya


Oh friend grasshopper
Will you play the caretaker
To my little grave
-Issa

Women planting rice
every bit about them dirty
But their haunting song
-Raizan

Stupid hot melons
Rolling like fat idiots
Out of leafy shade
-Kyorai

Why so scrawny cat?
Starving for fat fish, or mice
Or backyard love?
-Basho

White chrysanthemum
Before that perfect flower
Scissors hesitate
-Buson

Too curious thistle
Watching us pass, met death
our hungry donkey
-Basho

What a gorgeous one
That fat sleek huge old chestnut
I could not get at
-Issa

Angrily I came
But waiting in my garden....
Calm old willow tree

Watching, I wonder
What poet could put down his quill
Such a perfect moon
-Onitsura

It is late autumn
Look, on my rubbish-heap
A morning-glory
-Taigu

Oh former renter,
I know it all, all down to
The very cold you felt
-Issa

Snow-swallows valley
Only the painter river
A black winding line
-Boncho

No comments: